Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend continue to change. Houses are changed or demolished and new houses take their place. New forms of housing are created. Port Houses records some of these changes.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Clareville, 101 Spring St, Port Melbourne

Clareville - A House in Port Melbourne




Clareville is thought to hae been constructed in the 1860s or 1870s. Purchased by James B Bartlett at the turn of the 20th Century, Clareville was the location for Bartlett's SP boookmaking operation for around thirty years. The Bartlett family were long time Port residents. James B Bartlett was the son of James John Barlett, former Mayor of Port Melbourne [1884-85], proprietor of the Railway Club Hotel in Raglan St, sporting identity and bookmaker.

Clareville is unusual as an apparently early house which was comprehensively altered at the turn of the century. The result of the alterations exemplifies the stylistic transition that can be seen in many houses constructed at the end of the nineteenth centuy in which the typical form of a Victorian double fronted house was overlaid with elements such as the half timbered gables, terra cotta roof ridging and lead lighted casement windows deriving from the Queen Anne and other Arts and Crafts domestic architectural styles.

source: City of Port Phillip Heritage Review Database No: 685

No comments:

Post a Comment