Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend continue to change. Houses are changed or demolished and new houses take their place. New forms of housing are created. Port Houses records some of these changes.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

106 and 108 Stokes St, Port Melbourne

Thelma and Carmel


'Until March 1902, this site was occupied by a pair of five roomed wooden houses. By March 1903, the owner, Patrick Darcy had erected a pair of five room brick houses. The pair ... are of great importance as intact single storey polychrome brick terraced houses. Both houses have two double hung sash windows with a front door towards the middle of the building. The viruoso use of brick around the windows and doors would be equalled by few houses of this size in Melbourne. Between the verandah and the parapet is a colourful row of glazed tiles interspersed with pairs of brackets and garlands. The central portion of the parapet is contructed in red brick contrasting with the dark brown used in the rest of the house. Elaborate cement render consoles support a central pediment on each house, and under this is the name, also in unpainted cement render. The chimneys are constructed in red and yellow bricks with a refined cement render capping.' 
source: Port Melbourne Conservation Study prepared by Jacobs Lewis Vines Architects and Conservation Planners July 1979

No comments:

Post a Comment