Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend continue to change. Houses are changed or demolished and new houses take their place. New forms of housing are created. Port Houses records some of these changes.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

151 Esplanade West, Port Melbourne

October 2016

Stone wall added.

Almost complete - but not quite

28 10 2015

The site cleared
18 11 2013
The Planning Permit phase
Decline
Planning Permit 1048/2012 for construction of a two-storey dwelling with basement and roof terrace
Permit issued: 30 05 2013

In this transition period, waiting for the permit, bicycles appear.





17 05 2012
Changing Hands
This house belonged to a Maltese man who arrived in Melbourne on the Flaminia in 1960. He worked as an engineer at Swallows.
He was taciturn, not very friendly - a heavy smoker. He had a very prized car. Even when he became very ill, he was reluctant to part with it. 
The house was considerably modified, but the original house was still there, behind all the changes.
The property was sold by Frank Gordon for $850,000 on 17 December 2011 noting that there was no heritage overlay.